Friday, May 1, 2015

Apiary Adventure



I put three pounds of bees into my back yard hive. I live within the limits of a small to medium size city. I love bees. They are fascinating creatures.  A year ago I started collecting equipment, reading books, joined a local Bee Group called SEBA and watched lots of different youtube bee instructional videos. I felt I was ready but when I looked at that box with all that buzzing energy...I was not so sure. 



I felt terror! Look at that beautiful mass of bee's! I had arrived home to late in the day to put them in their hive the day they arrived. They spent the night in a cool darkened room in the house next to my bedroom. They were lightly sprayed with sticky sugar water, then I crossed my fingers and went to sleep. There were about five or six bees that were hanging on the outside and never let go of their sisters. My son who picked up the bees for me was told they had been hanging on since there departure from Thistledewfarm located in Proctor, West Virginia. 

Only those who risk going too far can know how far they can go. ~ Unknown

In the morning I collected my beekeeping supplies. I am sure in last year I have collected lots of equipment I may and may not need. This spring I put together and painted boxes, shims, bottoms, inside covers, tops, tools and more. I felt I was ready but still three pounds is a lot of bees...plus they all have stingers. I am afraid of being stung.


I wish I had been able to video the placement of the bees. I bet the adventure looked comical. Especially to bee keepers that know what they are doing! I had never used a smoker before nor the prying tool. So I felt awkward. Finally I got everything together, picked up my courage and pried open the transport bee box, nabbed the queen...saw a moving dot and placed her in the hive. I then ran away. Yup I did. I came back gave the bees a little smoke and a big shake, dumping them into the hive. Quickly I placed the queen excluding screen on top then the box with sugar water and ran away. 

My son and I are allergic to bee and spiders. I have epi-pens stashed in different areas of the house. Still I dare to have bees because they are an important part of the life cycle of plants and in trouble. Bees need our help. I am not as interested in honey as I am in helping the bees.


I sent a picture to a knowledgeable bee keeper. I was happily patting myself on the back, satisfied with a job well done. Until he texted back. I did not receive the news I thought I would hear. He told me there were too many bees left in the transport box and I had to do it again. OMG's again? I had to take a few deep breaths.

So I did the process again. I lifted the box smoked the bees, ran away, came back and shook the rest of the bees in their new home. Placed the queen excluding screen back on, box with the sugar water, inside cover and top. Then ran away. This time there were only a few bees left in the box. I breathed a sigh of relief, sat in a outdoor chair, sipped ice tea and watched the girls. I had not been stung. I smiled. 

I am looking forward to more bee adventures since I broke through my comfort zone. I am happy that I was able to over come my fear of being stung and take a risk toward bee keeping. I bet I will still be afraid but next time I need to open the hive I will have a bit more experience and hopefully not run away...as frequently. I am having a buzzing good time watching the girls while in my urban garden.

To try is to risk failure. But risk must be taken because the greatest hazard of life is to risk nothing. The person who risks nothing does nothing, has nothing, is nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow, live, and love."
-- Leo Buscaglia


No comments: