Thursday, July 18, 2013

Emergency Care

                                     

I was on break with a fellow nurse and she shared a few funny videos with me for a laugh and some stress relief. Laughter, after all is the best medicine!  I have worked in the ER now for six months. Here you would expect me to say how much I love my job. Well...to be honest I love parts of my job.


I would like to share all the wonderful and heart felt stories about people I have helped to get better and leave the ER but instead it is the yucky stuff that sticks out like a bad zit. Do you know what kind of zit I'm talking about? The kind of zit that suddenly appears hot red itchy and swelled at least an inch high that can be seen by looking sideways at the tip of your own nose. I just know that everyone else can see that aggravating huge zit and it is very distracting! Those are unfortunately the people that I am thinking about today. The above you tube video is a great zit story.   


Let me say this again. I have only worked in the ER for six months but I have already heard this several times a week. Part of my head is trying to get the real reason for their ER visit and part of my head is laughing hysterically at the total craziness of the conversation I am having.


I was flabbergasted the first time I witnessed a fake seizure! I have seen real seizures and have sympathy for people that have this serious condition and was totally appalled that people really do fake seizures. My preceptor turned to me and said 'welcome to the ER' while my mouth dropped and eyes popped in  shock. Well, my shock lasted a second or two because after all I am a nurse.  


I'm not a new nurse. I decided to change careers in my late 40's. I don't think I'm having a midlife crises but I could be. I have a new car too. Plenty of people and fellow nurses have suggested I must be crazy to switch to the ER. Since 1990 I have worked in different areas of nursing such as cardiac step down, post open heart, a float nurse, nursing home and even hospice. The ER has been a challenge and a blessing all in one inhale. I wouldn't trade my ER position for anything. Not even a Hershey Kiss, peanut butter cup, cup cake, double chocolate brownie or even a blueberry red bull. And boy that is saying a lot because I really love chocolate and caffeine!!!

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Glad to hear you're loving ER duty. I just finished a 9-month training rotation in ER as a chaplain. ER nurses have more patience than I ever saw in one place before. Gotta hand it to you folks.

Redswirl said...

Glad to read you are training to be a chaplain! I hope when you are done you will consider an ER near you.

Unknown said...

Hi, nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic. Thanks for sharing your ideas, its not just entertaining but also gives your reader knowledge. Good blogs style too, Cheers!

- The emergency care rockland

Redswirl said...

Thank You Layne!!!