Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Tile Pile



Planning the tile pattern.
Planning the tile for the counter took a while. I picked out tile, stacked, sorted and then did it again for several weeks. I have a large pile of tile in my garage that is stacked in piles against one wall. A little part of me thought that maybe the stacks would help insulate the garage. Hmmm probably not. The stacks have become more of a stair step way around the wall of the garage for my outdoor cats. 


Getting busy and ready to add the corners.
I did have to purchase the edge pieces. They where expensive! I applied plastic to the wood counter top and then the cement board. I like applying thin set. There is just something about creating the goop with my drill and beater blade. I like to watch it swirl and combine with the water in the bucket to make goop. Applying the goop to tile is pretty fun too! It feels like spreading frosting! Yum, but no tasting necessary. 

Wet saw to cut the corners and a few other tile.
After I started applying the tile to the edge of the counter, I realized I had no clue how to cut the corners. On top of that I did not have any equipment to cut the corners! I went to the net and to youtube to research my options. I watched youtube video after video trying to learn how to cut corners with a wet saw for several days before I rented the wet saw. My daughter and I fooled with the saw for an hour (unplugged) before I tried to cut tile. I cut a few plain tile before I cut my first corner. I was so nervous! It came out perfect! I was so happy!!


The finished counter top!

2 comments:

Willow said...

Your countertop is so beautiful and inspiring, and in person looks quite professional. I have a few surfaces that need a tile-up, as well. I'll call on you for advice ")

Redswirl said...

I would love to help you with any or all of your tile projects!!! ;)